Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Are You A Fan of Vanquish? [Games]

VanquishVanquish 

It has been a while since Sega has truly impressed me with a game.  Bayonetta is cool, the Sonic games fell off post-Genesis, "No." to the Iron Man & it's sequel and I don't like Yakuza.  Kind of depressing for all the arguments that I had defending the brand when I was in junior high.  Everyone had the Sega side and the Nintendo side.  Mario vs. Sonic & Star Fox vs. After Burner. The Street Fighter 2 only being on the SNES debacle.  Let us not forget the peak of the debate is when Mortal Kombat came out and the Nintendo version didn't have blood.  I think that killed the debate once and for all in Sega's favor.  I'm not a hard core gamer but there is one thing I remember, ABACABB.  
That code has been engraved in my psyche.  But, I digress...

My cousin, who is a serious gamer, sent a text that said, "The Vanquish demo is out."  A question mark bubble popped over my head because I only own a Wii and PS3 I asked, "For PS3?"  I got a sense of exasperation when he replied via text message, yes, it was that strong.  Once I finished my work for the day I downloaded the demo and lowered my expectations, then, it went into a bottomless pit when I saw the Sega logo.  I was even more discouraged when my 1st gen PS3 said I had to make space for this demo.  That meant work.  More than I was willing to do.  So, post deletion of other games and then download and then demo install (Sony need to make this process easier), I started the game.

Intro screen was cool, but Sega doesn't slack when it comes to intro's and cut scenes so I wasn't surprised.  What about gameplay?  Now, the tutorial is very simplistic and it creates a user experience where you feel like you're the character learning how to use the weapons, nothing new.  What I found interesting though is the method they chose to do it.  The pilot of the exo-skeleton suit you are using is arrogant and believes he knows how to use the suit already, so, he's doing the job because it's protocol.  Honestly, I'm the type who fights with himself to read the instruction manual on anything.  I know I should and that is why I do it.  So you can imagine when the protagonist has a, "Let's get this over with attitude I know how to do this already."  I and anyone else going through the tutorial did too.  Once you play one shooting game, you played them all right?  Wrong! Wrong! (Ref: Charlie Murphy)

The controls are amazing in the tutorial allowing you to embrace its simplicity.  You get comfortable.  Until you play the main game.  The chaos that ensue is different from a Gears of War or Lost Planet because I actually believed that the characters suit was a serious war machine, borderline indestructible.  It's like Master Chief on steroids.  The heart racing, fast paced, break neck speed of the game is something we will be marveling for months after it's release.  I highly recommend downloading this demo if you haven't already... I'm a fan... 

Are You A Fan Yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment