Sunday, June 13, 2010

Are we going to be getting a lot of hot air? [The Last Airbender]

I used to catch scenes of the TV show Avatar: The Last Airbender when my brother would be watching Nickelodeon back in the day.  It always caught my attention because the show was much deeper than your average childrens programing.  They were talking about meditation, chakra, spirit realms, war among nations, life & death.  Topics that are not easy for kids to understand, shoot, not easy for some adults to understand.  The point is the show didn't dumb it down they made it part of the story and part of what being the Avatar was about.  The show also focused on a young boys reluctance to take on a responsibility that was greater than himself and over coming that fear and accepting the challenge.  The show is very story driven and has a moral compass that always points to doing whats right, something you rarely see on television where the gray area reign supreme.  Another thing that makes the cartoon special is that it was planned to end.  They had a story to tell and they let it go after it was told.  I know, it seems like I know a lot about the show for someone who has only seen it in passing right.  After the movie was announced I decided to go on Netflix and the first season was streaming.  I was hooked.  About a month ago the other 2 seasons were as well.  I'm a fan of the show and I'm hoping Hollywood does the movie right.  Judging from the trailer... I'm pleased.  When it comes to the show, I'm a fan.  The trailer I'm a fan.  Are You A Fan Yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment