Saturday, June 12, 2010

What's the definition of insanity again? [Mortal Kombat: Rebirth]

I know I'm hitting this late but, when something is great I say better late than never ...

This is a case where I'll be happy if Hollywood takes another shot at a fighting game on screen.

My people, I am a fan of this right here.  A big fan.  The reason why is because movies that revolve around a fighting game try too hard to incorporate every character into the storyline to satisfy the fan base and that in my opinion cannot work.  Focus on one interesting character give them a villain that the fans know and non-fans can see that the main character abhors and have them duke it out.  All the other characters can be easter eggs (Except Dan, I don't want to see Dan from Street Fighter in a movie.) or set up for the next character based movie.  Y'know what we all hoped Chun Li's movie would do.

Fighting games have a rich base of characters that all have their own story that can be explored (can we say sequels, No Dan).  This clip here is the right direction to go because you believe that this world can exist.  The fact that the authorities in the midst of chaos give an imprisoned assassin the mission to kill all who stand in the way of him reaching his enemy is GOLD.  I hope the studios take advantage of this because about 40% of MK characters could be part of a potential blockbusting franchise.  If done right.  In regards to this clip, I'm A Fan... Are You A Fan Yet?



1 comment: